Berlin (Wegley) White Porcelain Teacup and Saucer
Circa 1751-57, blue 'W' marks, impressed numerals and cypher
The shallow hemispheric cup with angular crabstock branch handle, the exterior molded with conjoined long stem flowers in the blanc de chine style, the saucer exterior with four similar floral clusters.
Height of cup 1 3/4 inches, width 4 inches, diameter of saucer 5 1/2 inches.
The Wetmore Estate, Newport, RI.
Parke-Bernet Galleries, 16-18 September 1969, lot 801.
In 1751, Wilhelm Caspar Wegely was granted the royal privilege to establish a porcelain manufactory in Berlin, the forerunner of Berlin (K.P.M.). At that time, Frederick II of Prussia guaranteed him an advantage by granting him exemption from duties for the import of essential materials.
C Estate of Sarah Belk Gambrell
Additional Notes & Condition Report
Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact and Doyle New York shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. Please contact the specialist department to request further information or additional images that may be available.
No condition report? Click here to request one.