Royal Interest: Set of Six Empire Upholstered Mahogany Side Chairs from the Chateau D'Eu
Early 19th century
A square back and raised on baluster turned legs. Height 36 inches, width 19 1/2 inches, depth 16 3/4 inches.
Maison Jansen, New York, May 1967
The Chateau D'Eu was built in 1578 in Eu, Normandy. The Orleans family owned the estate from at least the 1650s and King Louis-Philippe used the house as a Royal summer residence during his reign from 1830 to 1848 twice entertaining England's Queen Victoria on her visits to the Continent. The chateau was also home of the exiled Brazilian Royal family, Princess Isabel having married Prince Gaston, Count of Eu who was a grandson of Louis-Philippe. These chairs are printed with inventory numbers and stamped with EU surmounted by a crown as inventoried by the French Royal palaces.
C A New York Apartment Decorated by Maison Jansen
Additional Notes & Condition Report
No condition report? Click here to request one.