NEW YORK, NY -- As a young painter in Paris, Yves Brayer (1907-1990) attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts and exhibited at the Salon d’Automne and the Salon des Independents. Following the War, he married his muse and greatest supporter, Hermione, and the young couple moved south. There, the artist discovered his greatest influence in the region of Provence.
Considering the work of Yves Brayer, Pierre Mac Orlan writes (translated from French), “I only know Yves Brayer’s home in Provence because he captures its flavor, one might say, on a canvas.” The connection between artist and this region is unwavering, and in looking at Brayer’s diverse subjects the viewer is time and time again transported to this place. Vast open landscapes with fields of lavender, olive trees or the white horses of Camargue are frequently represented, as are the local people and cultural events specific to the region.
Brayer traveled extensively throughout Southern France, Italy and Spain, fully embracing the Mediterranean coast and its hinterland. In the large-sale work, Les Apprets du Torero from 1930, the artist and viewer have been invited behind the scenes as we witness the matador before he takes center stage. He exudes confidence and is flanked by admirers with festivities already underway in the streets. Perhaps now more than ever we need art in our lives, not just to escape, but also to be transported to another part of the world, as many of us would typically set out to do this time of year.
Doyle at Home
A highlight of the Doyle at Home auction closing on July 16, 2020 is Les Apprets du Torero by Yves Brayer from the collection of The College of New Rochelle. View Lot
Yves Brayer (French, 1907-1990)
Les Apprets du Torero, 1930
Signed Yves Brayer (ll)
Oil on canvas
70 3/4 x 101 1/2 inches
Private collection, Philadelphia
Paris, Le Salon des Beaux Arts, 1930
Castres, France, Musee Goya, traveling to Paris, France, Galerie Matignon, Yves Brayer, Oeuvres d'Espagne, June - Sept., 1980
Jean Giono, Yves Brayer, Paris, La Bibliotheque des Arts, 1966
Property of The College of New Rochelle