Russian Icon of Saint Nikita, Bishop of Novgorod and Monk John of Novgorod
Central Russia, 16th century
Rectangular, the saints portrayed full length on a gold ground beneath the Mother of God and Christ Child, the reverse with paper label of the State Tretyakov Gallery, inscribed 476, further paper label, inscribed 749, and painted inventory number 12904 GTG. Height 12 3/8 inches (31.4 cm.), width 10 1/4 inches (26 cm).
Presumably sold by Antikvariat.
The George R. Hann Collection; sold Christie's, New York, April 17, 1980, lot 69.
Acquired at the above sale by the present owner.
New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1944.
Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, Collection of George R. Hann, January 12-February 22, 1944, no. 58.
Columbus, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts, Collection of George R. Hann, February 10-March 10, 1945, no. 29.
Indianapolis, John Herron Art Museum, Collection of George R. Hann, March 25-April 29, 1945, no. 29.
Oberlin, Allen Memorial Art Museum, Exhibition of Russian Icons from the Collection of George R. Hann, April 29-May 21, 1945.
St. Louis, The St. Louis Art Museum, Russian Icons and Objects of Ecclesiastical and Decorative Arts, September 15-October 15, 1945.
George Hann (1890-1979), a pioneer in American air transportation, assembled what was regarded as the most important private collection of icons ever to come on the market. It is not known how Hann first became interested in Russian art, but his collection was acquired mostly in the 1930s, when many Imperial Russian treasures were sold by the Soviet government to foreign buyers.
Hann displayed his collection, which also included Old Master paintings, furniture, sculpture and tapestries, at his home, "Treetops," outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He encouraged the use of his collection for educational and research purposes and welcomed scholars and students to his home. Hann devoted himself to the study of the historical and religious significance of his collection and visited Russia to view exceptional icons in Russian museums.
The George R. Hann Collection was offered in a landmark sale at Christie's, New York, in April 1980, where the present lot was acquired.
C Estate of Mildred C. Brinn
Additional Notes & Condition Report
No condition report? Click here to request one.