Fine Carved and Red Stained Maple Slide Lid Box
Inscribed MADE AT FORT GEORG 1772 BY DW, carved with a rose, thistle, harp and fleur de lys at the sides, the lid with a sun face and crescent moon, the end with a heart and with punched patterns. Height 1 3/4 inches, width 5 3/4 inches, depth 2 1/4 inches.
Guthman Americana, Westport, CT, 1985
The third of five Fort Georges in New York State was built in 1755 and destroyed in 1777.
There is also a Fort George near Inverness, Scotland, a massive fortification built after the Battle of Culloden (1746).
C Property of a Private Collector, Long Island
Additional Notes & Condition Report
No condition report? Click here to request one.